Thursday, May 30, 2013

Lessons for New MBA Students

By Paul Davis

A few years ago, I was reflecting on my MBA experience. I thought about the sacrifices and trade-offs I had made to make it through the program. I jotted them down, realizing that some of the items might be second nature. Other lessons I learned the hard way.

I am sharing these six tips for success in hopes that others can benefit from my experience and use them to have a smooth transition back into academic life:

1.   Time management is critical to success. Full-time students have multiple classes to juggle, while evening MBA students have to balances assignment with those pesky jobs. There are also plenty of social and club activities that will complicate scheduling. I advise students to knock out individual tasks as early as possible and use early team meetings to map out the semester ahead using each course's syllabus as a blueprint for planning.

2.   Get to know the professors. I found from my experience that most professors are approachable – even likable – despite courses that are often difficult. I was able to develop relationships with several professors that continued after I left their classes, and many of them will prove instrumental to your development as you progress through the program and reenter to the work place.

3.   Get to know your classmates, particularly those on your team. Those individuals will be your lifeline as you adjust to business school. In many courses, the collaborative work your team performs will make up a hefty percentage of your overall grade. Early on, develop policies and procedures for conflict resolution. Even the most congenial group will have moments when the pressures of classes, assignments and personal stress converge to create friction. Find the appropriate valves to help get your team past those inevitable rough patches.

4.   Get involved! There are a multitude of clubs in business school. Consider registering for competitions – there are plenty of those. Don’t hesitate to step outside your comfort zone.

5.   Go outside from time to time. You will need time to escape from the books and get out and network with your fellow students. Have a beer at local brewery or go for a hike. Play trivia. Take in a movie. These are necessary to provide distractions and relieve stress.

6.   Take advantage of speaker events. When I was in business school, the program brought in people such as Reynolds American CEO Susan Ivey, Wal-Mart CEO Mike Duke and author JohnGrisham. Speaker events are excellent for networking and past executives who have visited have proven to be amazingly approachable. Learn from them.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Appreciate all the insights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I greatly appreciate that! Please help me out by spreading the word about this blog ... I hope it becomes a useful tool for past, current and future business school students.

      Delete